Saturday, January 26, 2008

To Keep My Mind Off It...

Yep, Marah was, at one time, gonna be playing the 400 Bar tonight. And, at one time, Texas-by-way-of-Minneapolis Kat was gonna be flying up for the show and we were gonna scream and dance like assholes together. And, at one time, my old coworkers who went to the last 400 Marah show and many of my new music friends were gonna come together to enjoy some seriously awesome rock'n'roll.

Alas...

Nope, I can't stay hung up on it all day, all week, all month, all year forever and ever and ever.

So...

To keep my mind off of it, because I still can't/won't listen to Marah's music (dramatic much??? SERIOUSLY Jones...I swear I'll stop soon enough), I'm gonna overwhelm myself with AWESOMENESS today!

1) I've listened to War Drums by Heiruspecs eight times already today. THIS SONG DRIVES ME CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY, but in the really good, seize back and forth with my arms waving kind of way. Jesus god, I LOVE THIS SONG!

No, I wasn't at this show...


But I WAS at THIS SHOW...






...and it was THE SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! Yeah, the drunk asshole that tried to push in front of me, knocked my camera and poured beer on me and my American hip hop soulmate (Donkey, you KNOW you are my original hip hop sister forever and ever!!) was a pain but he got owned in the end and it turned out to be a righteous time. GOD BLESS LOCAL HIP HOP!!!!!

2) Dogs! God, I love them, too. From my sister back home who snuggled with me ALLLLLL NIGHT EVERY NIIIIIIIGHT over Christmas break, who missed me so much when I left that she would still run upstairs to see if I was there even after two weeks...



....to my future child...



...I LOVE DOOOOOOOOOOOGS!

3) Josh Ritter, one of my favorite discoveries of last year, has broken and healed my heart over and over again. On Letterman last week, he made me choke up with joy and hope that not ALL bands are gonna turn around and break up as soon as they perform on network television (Oh Marah...I still love you...I'll get over it and learn to praise again I SWEAR!)



Seriously...this man overwhelms me with that smile and Ritter DEFINITELY wins Happiest Man in the Universe award, well right after butter is better Paula Dean and this Ethiopian woman I know back in Kansas City. GO JOSH GO!



And, late last night, when I was a tad lonely and lying in the dark youtubing my favorite singers, I FOUND THIS...WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!? SJDHG{W(#*RYW^)WR&(T)Q@EW(DVKJHLKSFJ^%*&^$#$*DYR JOSH RITTER AAAAAAAND GLEN HANSARD...MERCY ME MERCY ME!!!!!!!!



I love me some beard on beard action.

4) GOSSIP GIRL DAY! The lovely gossip girls are having an entire day dedicated to cheesy movies, malts, live music and girl talk. Secrets will be revealed. Secrets will be locked tight in the gossip girl vault. GOSSIP GIRLZ!




5) Jason Isbell. Yep. I've gushed about him ad nauseam. Y'know...the fact that he broke off from one of my favorite bands and I thought it would be over, and it's obviously not...cause Sirens of the Ditch was one of my favorite releases last year and Chicago Promenade was one of my favorite songs last year (and of the past several years...in fact, I sorta think that DBT needs to step it up now)...It feels reeeeeeeal nice to think of that. And it feels reeeeeeeeal nice to listen to Isbell. And watch him. And I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeal excited for his show at The Varsity on February 6th. WOOHOO! JASON!



It's a simple song but a lovely one.

6) I GOT PUBLISHED AGAIN! YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Check out page 4 of this week's vita.mn! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!



This was a much needed treat/job after last week's sh*tty Thursday (the day that ended with me tripping outside the turf club and shattering one of my $400 lenses thus I spent all of Bon Iver crying tears of self loathing in the back of the venue!!!) Jonesie needs every last dolla bill she can get!

7) BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!

Okay, if you wanna talk to me about breaking and healing my heart, there will always and forever be Bruce (big effin' surprise.) Above everything else. Yep yep yep. Seriously, people we're rounding the bend on a seven year die-hard obsession. It ain't waning any time soon. I watched this video last night with those same lights off, the glow of the greenway coming through the window, and I cried, SUCKAS, I CRIED!! Favorite song EVER...



That's from the show last November at Xcel, when, as I've said a billion times before, the rock'n'roll rats ruled the world. I didn't want it to end...the wails, the tears, the high fives, the hand-holding so tight that my knuckles turn white, the bar before and afterwards where your surrounded by people who understand and relish in it. I never want it to end. When those opening chords of Incident started, I screamed my Jonesie scream, FINALLY I was going to get to hear a full band Incident with all my E Street boys backing my Bruce. I was there, with my friends and my Mama, and life could not have been any more rewarding at that one moment. I wept, laughed and literally pounded on my mom's back, keeping my white girl rhythm, while dancing up and down. This song is a sweeping romance of epic proportions, yet its still simple and accessible, a boy loves a girl, Johnny & Jane. They meet through his tears, their names are never revealed (my favorite line ever: Puerto Rican Jane, oh won't you tell me what's your name?)...maybe because that way the anonymity allows all of us to a part of a love story, they love each other desperately and then, not by choice (I'd like to believe), he's gone. Is he arrested? Is he murdered? Is she alone? Maybe. Maybe it's something different every single time you hear it.

And Bruce is coming back on March 16th. Go to this show. Rock'n'roll redemption is worth every damn penny (or ten thousand of them.) Trust me.

God I can't wait...







What I do know is that I have left myself about 30 minutes go take a shower, put my make-up on and fix my hair up pretty, and kick it with my girls alllllll day! YAY!

To all that I have to look forward to in my future...YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I can't listen either....Can't. Do. It.

2. I heart Incient. It's in my top 4...Good night it's alll tight, Jane.

3. Your pictures always make me smile. You have an amazing spirt and I love you!

We will rock soon.

solace said...

re: Drunk asshole @ Heiruspecs

damn right... totally PWNED that douchenozzle. ;)