Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day to MEEEEEEE!

I recieved a message from Jason Isbell today...

Alexa,

These pictures are great! We'd love to use them on our MySpace page. What is your mailing address? We'll send you a thank you package once things slow down a bit.


WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I immediately started laughing and ran out to call Jen where we proceeded to list about a dozen inappropriate packages Jason could send to me (yeah, imagine that.) I just had to tell everyone that knew how much this could have meant to me. JASON ISBELL! Then, I couldn't stop smiling. It felt a lot like my first photo as POTW on hwts or my first shot in vita.mn. To beat this pony for the zillionth time...JASON ISBELL IS ONE OF MY VERY FAVORITES! HIS ALBUM IS ONE OF MY VERY FAVORITES! HIS SHOWS ARE SOME OF MY VERY FAVORITES! And he liked my work enough to even CONSIDER sending a package. I don't care if it's a postcard. I don't care if it's the album, which I own in several different formats. I don't care if it's a t-shirt or a big ass bottle of whiskey. I don't care if it's nothing ever. Because, in this case, it seriously is the thought that counts (though a "thank you package" would be so effing amazing.)*

I do this because there is nothing I love more than a really rad show and it's become a mission to try to capture that, in pictures especially, words often, or shouting it from a mountain top always. I get so much out of live music and I love being able to repay those artists with my work. I know I have A LOT to learn. I know that concert photography can be "a dime a dozen." It doesn't have to be, though, and I want to continue to challenge myself to capture what I experience. It's not lucrative but it's my life and when a musician takes the time to even say thank you, especially those that aren't from around here, it means the world to me. I've made really amazing friends through this because I've left a venue with 4GB of shots, bawling and/or grinning from ear to ear, and I sent those musicians my pictures, and then all of a sudden you're having two hour conversations about art and life over pad thai or laughing ridiculously at a candyshop in downtown St. Paul or analyzing the Bruce Kingdom and everything that involves over greasy bar food. It's been almost exactly one year since I started doing this seriously and I will continue on, because I'm as excited about it now as I was that first time I looked down to my LCD screen and saw what a good camera could do. So, that's that.

And also, I know it's just myspace, but seeing MY picture as Jason Isbell's profile shot gives me a giant girly boner...and also great...going to the Drive-by Truckers page to see that same shot in their top friends. Hell. Yes.



And also, this must be a tiny tiny tiny tiny TINY fraction of what Jim Walsh felt when he got that hand-written thank you note from Bruce Springsteen.

And also, first step, Jason, many MANY steps later, Bruce. I'm just saying.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!









Press here for the rest of my shots from that night, including Will Hoge's co-headling set. God bless the Varsity's lighting.



WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*If one of Jason Isbell's people, Jason Isbell himself (god help me), or someone who has ever had a conversation with Jason Isbell happens upon this, I swear to the gods that I'm not a creep or crazy (in the bad way.) Just wanted to throw that out there for the sake of my (ever dwindling) dignity.

Happy Valentine's Day, LUVAHS!

xoxo,
Alexa, She Who Pines Away For A Package from the Postman

2 comments:

Jen said...

irwYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!! so awesome!!

Anonymous said...

pics are awesome....how freaking cool is THAT? you rock xo