Monday, May 19, 2008

Man oh man, I wish I was there...

DREAM COME MOTHERF*CKING TRUE!

From backstreets...

ASBURY PARK SOCIAL CLUB
Springsteen and Social D's Mike Ness rock the Stone Pony


On Saturday night, or the second of two Mike Ness shows at the Pony, the Social Disortion frontman was joined on stage by his friend (and longtime fan) Bruce Springsteen. After watching the show from the soundboard, Springsteen joined in for a four-song encore. As Linda tells us, there was "'Misery Loves Company,' the song they did together on Mike's 1999 solo CD, Cheating at Solitaire. Then they did my favorite Social D. song, 'Ball and Chain,' but instead of sticking to the original rocking version, they did it as a slow, country ballad. Bruce sang the second verse, and the crowd went nuts. Next was a 'If You Leave Before Me,' from Cheating at Solitaire, followed by a fun 'I Fought the Law.' What was really cool was seeing the excitement and giddiness of Social D. fans after the show. Most of these fans are guys in their 20s -- tattoos, pierced body parts, part hardcore punk/part rockabilly, and their hot Bettie Page-type girlfriends. They were so happy and excited, and I heard them saying, 'Man, nothing gets better than this!' and 'Wow, can you believe it? How frickin' amazing was that?!'" As Ness asked the crowd, "Aren't you guys glad you came the second night?" [Correction: Ness performed Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" without Springsteen]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Basically, it goes like this. Because of my obsession with Bruce, I discovered Marah. Because of my obsession with Marah, I discovered Drive-By Truckers. Because of my obsession with Drive-By Truckers, I discovered Social Distotion.

At one time or another, for a long time, those bands meant the world to me. In two of those cases, sh*t went down and favorite members left/were forced to leave (who will ever really know? And yes just last week I was day dreaming about the awesomeness of Jason Isbell and my summer concert in Kansas City. And just last week I was creating a rock'n'roll poster of a bunch of my shots, which shall be displayed shortly, and I didn't include any of Marah...because it just isn't the same any more. When the corner square reads "There are pictures of her heroes on the wall", how could I?) Bruce is obviously still mon numero une and I'm still super stoked to FINALLY see sans Isbell Truckers at First Ave.

And then there's Social D...a band an old roommate told me years agoI should REALLY listen to cause I was such a Trucker fan. And I fell instantly in love. This music soothed me whenever I felt like ramming my little Honda right into the A-hole in front of me! Cause I would scream along with Mike Ness and all seemed well again!

Then I saw them live, by myself, and it was one of the top 10 non Bruce live shows of my life. I fought to stay in the moshing crowd, pressed against the pole at the Quest to steady myself, danced so hard that I ruined my neon roos, and relished in the cool beer that was being poured on us so we didn't overheat. It was disgusting. And amazing. And just as awesome the next time round too.

When I realize that my ultimate musical hero is a friend and longtime fan of another musical hero of mine, it warms my heart. And somehow makes so much of what I love come full circle and connect.

Because really it was just two dudes jamming on a stage together. Seriously, how awesome is that?!?!

F*cking RAD! I wonder if they go shopping for black clothes together?




(That Bruce video is sort of nauseatingly raw...motion sickness...but also one of the best videos I've seen that portrays what it's like to really be at one of those shows, in the midst of that crowd.)

1 comment:

Liz said...

We almost went! We are 20 mins from there, but it was Nick's Dad's 60th. So, family over rock and roll. Sad, no? As for Social D, I never knew there was a Bruce link. We both found them in high school, it was like standard high school music for us. But maybe that's due to growing up with Bruce, in Bruce country?